Trump’s message to Netanyahu was that “this is not the time to escalate the situation while he is trying to resolve the issues.”
Trump and other senior US officials have expressed increasing concern in private talks that Netanyahu might order a military strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities or take other actions that could sabotage diplomatic efforts, said the senior White House official.
Last week, Walla reported that Israel is preparing for the possibility of a rapid strike on Iran’s nuclear facilities if negotiations between Iran and the US fail in the coming weeks. In Israel, it is estimated that the window of opportunity for a successful strike might close soon.
Netanyahu’s close associate, Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer, arrived in Washington on Monday together with Mossad chief David Barnea. The two met with Vice President JD Vance, US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff, CIA Director John Ratcliffe, and other senior American officials to discuss the negotiations with Iran.
The call between Trump and Netanyahu took place last Thursday, following a shooting attack in Washington in which two Israeli embassy staff were killed.
According to the senior White House official, Trump told Netanyahu that he wants to reach a diplomatic solution with Iran and “does not want anything to interfere with that.”